Tuesday, August 7, 2012

50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind

Question 1: How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?

One of my goals is to answer the 50 Questions that Will Free Your Mind. First off, this question just confuses my mind. I've seen the response that you are your chronological age regardless of whether you know it or not, but that's boring and a bit condescending. So what age do I want to be?

I had a good childhood. I was spoiled, I was loved, and I had fun, but it was also a lonely time for me. I gained a lot of weight in elementary school, matured way too early, was made fun of, and was bored in my classes. I felt different than the other kids and for a elementary schooler or a middle schooler being different is a terrible thing.

By the time I reached high school, I had found a group of friends in the honors circle. I still felt different, but I was coming into my own skin. My friends were different too, and being bored in my classes translated into graduating as the Salutatorian of my class. However, high school came with its own challenges. I heard rumors about myself, took some teasing, and I'm ashamed to say, I did my fair share of it as well. I was always so defensive in high school, and I was unfair to people because of it. I also spent the first three years dating someone completely wrong for me. All in all, I enjoyed high school, but that doesn't keep me from having nightmares about going back.

So what about now, my college years? I can honestly say I am happier than I've ever been. Tree is the man of my very realistic dreams, lol. I have a guy who just let me cry it out when B. had her first seizure and who sat with me and ordered me a PB&J on a cruise when I was so very seasick instead of going to dinner. Out of everything, those two very simple things mean so much to me. I also have two beautiful nieces who bring the color into my world. I love college! It's the first really stimulating school experience I've ever had.

I can't say my college years have been perfect though. My grandma passed away, B. battled (and won) against epilepsy, and I had my own share of health issues, but I've made it through all of that for the most part...

And I'm so excited for the future! So, if I could be any age, I'd still be 21. I'd have all of the above experiences behind me, I'd be right smack in the middle of a great point in my life, and I'd have so much ahead of me. Right now sounds just about fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment