Wednesday, August 22, 2012

50 Questions that Will Free Your Mind: Question #3

If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?

This is a two part question.

Part 1: Why do we do so many things we don’t like?

People hate a ton of necessary things like work, school, or paying bills, but it is important to do these things, so you can do the things you like. Some things are necessary for survival.

Other things, however, I think we do because of our society's standards. We are expected to act a certain way, and the majority of us choose to act in accordance with that. Some of these standards are good and others are pointless or even harmful.

I like the way Tyler Durden from Fight Club (I just broke the first rule) put it: “An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables – slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy s**t we don't need.”

Part 2: Why don’t we do the things we like?

One of the biggest reasons, I can see is affordability. I would love to go ziplining in the Amazon or mark off some of the places to visit or things to do on my 101 list, but unfortunately I don’t have the money to do it all at one time. I think the 101 list is step in the right direction though.

Other reasons are fear-fear of the unknown, fear of failure, fear of what other people will think, and plain, ole laziness.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment