Friday, August 10, 2012

Book #2 A Grown Up Kind of Pretty

02. A Grown Up Kind of Pretty- Joshilyn Jackson
Synopsis: "A GROWN-UP KIND OF PRETTY is a powerful saga of three generations of women, plagued by hardships and torn by a devastating secret, yet inextricably joined by the bonds of family. Fifteen-year-old Mosey Slocumb-spirited, sassy, and on the cusp of womanhood-is shaken when a small grave is unearthed in the backyard, and determined to figure out why it's there. Liza, her stroke-ravaged mother, is haunted by choices she made as a teenager. But it is Jenny, Mosey's strong and big-hearted grandmother, whose maternal love braids together the strands of the women's shared past--and who will stop at nothing to defend their future." -Amazon

My Thoughts: I enjoyed this book. It was a quick read, kept me entertained, and although the story felt familiar, I was still surprised by the twists and turns of the story. I thought Liza's stroke was portrayed accurately and added a depth to the story. The only real problem I had with the book was the dialogue of Mosey and her friends. Mosey's dialogue sounds like a forty-year-old mother trying to sound like a teenager (and I guess that's what the author is doing). It's a little forced, there's a little too much abbreviations in the texts, and it just read as false to me. Overall, I'd give this book 3/5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try Jackson's books! I've been hearing so much about them! This one also sounds fabulous and intriguing! I love the way you have described this book! I will definitely be looking out for it.

    ReplyDelete